Uglyman Forum and Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping

4 posters

Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty Re: Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping

Post by Snapper Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:16 am

That's right. Perhaps you would like to see bonus points for a dually (double par). I might also suggest extra points for a barky (making par after hitting a tree), double barky (two trees), bug-fugger (skulling a shot along the ground and making par), etc... Whadayall think? Neutral
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Number of posts : 73
Job/hobbies : Consultant / Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty Re: Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping

Post by Snapper Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:11 am

Are you putting down my Gateway 386 with Windows 98, hmmm?
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pill Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:44 am

It's probably just another situation where my MAC performs better than that other system
Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Leopar10
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Number of posts : 136
Job/hobbies : Saving mankind, stuff like that
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Character sheet
Par 5:

http://www.uglyman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snapper Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:40 am

Hmmm, interesting. I don't get that red line. Guess I'll use Word whenever I'm unsure, although I doubt many of us Uglies give a darn...
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pill Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:48 pm

Hey snap, I notice when I misspell a word in here you get a red line under the word. So, spell check is on, I just don't think it had the option to provide you with alternate spellings, at least I have not found a "dictionary" feature in here.
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snapper Thu May 29, 2008 12:01 am

Gramer and speeling are becoming a lost art...That remins me, were's the speel check on dis thang?
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pill Sun May 25, 2008 3:21 am

Dave,

A question: How come you don't spell out whole words? I know back, way back, people used to try to come up with a space saving, abbreviated language. And I totally understand if text messaging (sort of, but with the new keyboards should die soon). But, I'm at a loss for why with you weather is "Wx", with is "wid", to is "2", and so forth. You have a good Catholic education for God's sake, use it!

Wink Wink
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty What da ???

Post by uncledave Fri May 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Gotta go wid dat sheepskinned pedigreed slack-jawed Jlaw mens from da big sitty. Wa da 'f' u talk'n bout 2 chumps...man, 1's bad nuff!
Shlong ass yer warm'n up to it...warm up to da facts...YER NOTHING wid out da beer!!!
Just come and enjoy and will find a way 2 enstate TX back into da game and da union...
Can't wait... lol!
uncledave
uncledave
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Number of posts : 85
Job/hobbies : drunken pirate/beeeerrrr
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pill Thu May 22, 2008 2:14 am

I am OK with a dual champ concept. I understand those that have the ability, resources, and time to have crafted their game to a more successful level to want a "straight-up" competition. I also understand why the golf community deploys so many resources to a handicap system. I evens the playing field (only 25% of the time if done correctly) for the time of the tournament.

Again, I couldn't care less about the purity or exactness of the negotiated handicap system we come up with in our beer soaked negotiations the night before. If someone is a great negotiator and is sandbagging, "f" him and we'll know it I assure you.

As for lack of testosterone and willingness to "cowboy-up", that has no sway with me. If y'all wanted to take me on in how to set up a company and minimize state and federal taxes, I will smack all y'all down every time by a mile, it would never be a competition. Or with Jim, how to run a bus company, he would kill us. Or Snap, selling Fords. No way we could "cowboy-up" in those situations. Maybe bad examples, but I think you get my meaning. Some people are just naturally way better and spend a lot more time at certain things. That is why handicaps were implemented for non-pros.

The common denominator is we love golf, we love each other, and we love smack-talking friendly competition with each other.

So, I'm warm to the idea. Would be curious to hear what others think. Can't imagine why anyone would not be positive toward having two (probably one if history is any indication, the best golfer usually wins no matter what handicap system we throw at it) CHAMPS.

All that said, if y'all are into dual champs I'm open to it. Like Griz says, we change the rules every year anyway.
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snapper Wed May 21, 2008 9:26 pm

Well Griz...once again you have put the correct perspective out there for all to ponder. I have to agree whole-heartedly. I thought having dual champs was an ideal way to address this "problem". I like that you've taken it a step further and have both names on the trophy with all "benefits" bestowed equally. How can this idea possibly be anything but perfect?

When it comes to determining handicap, I think full handicap should be given to all. For example, my current USGA handicap is 6.4. Each course has a chart that will show how many strokes you get from a specific tee. Chewy, from the whites, may be 7 (just a guess). Therefore, if I shoot a 79, my net would be 72. If you get one more than me and shoot 80, your net would be the same, 72 because you would get 7 + 1 or 8 shots. So, for those who have a current USGA card, use it. For those who don’t, we can adjust accordingly. What do you think?

Shocked - Did you know that the more you know, the more you know you don't know. Suspect
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Griz Wed May 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Well boys, since we are only three I think anything we figure out here is simply suggestions for the rest of the group to vote on anyway, but, I think the fair solution is the two champ idea. Both Champions in their own right, both sharing the title and honor of champion. There is no shame in being low net, and no downgrade in status for the low gross to share. We all know that low gross is the guy that whooped the rest, and low net is the guy that got it done, but needed a little extra help hitting the island green.

Our tournament has changed and evolved over the years. In the begining it wasn't even a tournament just a golf marathon, and each night the low score for the day had bragging rights. The next day those who wanted to water ski, fish, sleep off their hangover, simply did and there was no shame in not playing golf. The next day everyone started at even par again and the game was on. Then we got the trophies, and played 8 rounds in 6 days for the "Championship" and the "Ugliest" total score. Then we switched to four rounds for the " Championship" and worst single round for the "Ugliest". then we switched to three round, then two rounds using a modified Stableford system, then back to three rounds, and hopefully now back to four rounds. My point is, through all the changes we still had fun! If crowning two "Champs" makes it more fun for everyone, then whats wrong with two "Champs".

Since there is no money on the line, and our little get together/tournament is of little to no consequence to the outside world, I vote for dual Champs, both on the trophy, posed for a joint photo to grace the Uglyman homepage for the year to folow. Two proud, happy, smiling, uglymen instead of one! What could be wrong with that?
Griz
Griz
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 143

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Snapper Wed May 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Hmmm, so what exactly is your problem with me winning every year... affraid That wouldn't happen, though.

Seriously, I understand. It's just that I've been screwed too many times by people with high handicaps who suddenly have "the round of my life", in other words, sandbaggers. When I had a 17 handicap, I was forced to play scratch with the big boys. Maybe I was a poor negotiator back then. Perhaps it was the testosterone...

It would appear the dual champ idea is not acceptable. Therefore, let's toss that out and determine a "fair" handicap for all. By the way, have you talked to your contact to ensure good weather for Uglyman week...or does Griz do that?

Love you too man...really!
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pill Wed May 21, 2008 2:20 am

Low gross as THE CHAMP will assure you are the champ for the rest of my life. Clearly you are the best golfer. We struggled with this 8 years ago and decided we needed some sort of an equalizing system. I am not near as concerned with the purity or authenticity of a handicapping system as I am with the fact that some sort of system exists. Any system creates possibility, no system creates no possibility. When hope is removed, changes interest and removes drive to participate. Love you and just my thoughts.
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty I'm torn

Post by Snapper Wed May 21, 2008 1:08 am

Hey there RC. I agree with everything but the Trophy Winner. That should go to the best golfer with honorable mention to low net. There is simply too much variation in handicap to accomplish your goal. Even saving scores from one year to the next is sketchy because of the improvement or loss of ability. It might work if everyone hand a current USGA Handicap, but even then, should the true champ be Low Net? I struggle with this even though I could theoreticaaly win both, or so could Griz or Coz or one or two others. I just don't know, but understand I am the "new guy" and will honor the group's ultimate decision, even though I may not agree.
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping

Post by Pill Fri May 09, 2008 1:48 am

Trophy winner: Low net is "THE CHAMP" and gets all the accolades we have grown accustomed to for "THE CHAMP". However low gross gets "Uglyman Raw" honorable mention and significant play on the website homepage and we all will know who is the best golfer.

Number of Rounds: I'm fine with 4, but not completely opposed to 3 if that works better for some, although not sure why it would.

Venue: Rounds 1 to 3, Monday through Wednesday at Chewy. We spend the night at a hotel in Chewy on Monday and Tuesday night. We will be the action in that town those nights. If there is a Round 4, I'm still a traditionalist and suggest the Canyon. Would miss that scene on 18 and the Canyon Burger.

Handicapping system: Anchored from the best player from the prior year. New players on honor relative to the anchor. No worse than a triple bogey on any hole. Players can get all testosteroned and not accept handicap if they so wish. Significant negotiations will occur regarding per round handicap, but it should turn out something like this: Snap:0. Griz: something above zero. Coz: one above Griz. Dave: Same as coz? Wes, the Coz level plus a couple. Jim: I don't know, will rely on how he feels he is playing, he got shame last year so he's earned a Pill, Scotty, Johnny, type handicap(12?). Lance is probably a couple shots better than than the lagging group. I might be bringing a guy named Bobby Ray, he's about 2 shots a round better than me. Thoughts?
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty Griz, you are right again!

Post by Snapper Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Double par, or dually as I like to call it, would be the same value as double bogey or worse in the system used last year. Pill, can I take it that your lessons aren't going well? Shocked
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty I don't see how that would change anything....

Post by Griz Sun May 04, 2008 5:00 pm

it actually would make it worse since the modified stableford system we discussed before was already moe forgiving than that, allowing for no more than 2 strokes over par.
Griz
Griz
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 143

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Here's my proposal for XVI handicapping Empty An idea to help hackers a little

Post by Pill Sat May 03, 2008 10:06 pm

What if we had a handicapping system similar to last year but make double par ( a 6 on a par 3, an 8 on a par 4, and a 10 on a par 5) the maximum strokes a person has to take on a hole?
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum