Uglyman Forum and Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Sand Wedge

4 posters

Go down

The Sand Wedge Empty re:sand wedge

Post by uncledave Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:10 pm

Blk Darth and Griz are both right...varied bounce and confidence in the club are both essential to the finesse game...the short shot.
The bounce is not the leading edge but rather it's the width of the underside. More width more weight. The more weight, the more you'll dig into the surface your playing.
Gotta go play IC...can u dig it pirat
uncledave
uncledave
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Number of posts : 85
Job/hobbies : drunken pirate/beeeerrrr
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

The Sand Wedge Empty Re: The Sand Wedge

Post by Snapper Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:29 am

They make wedges with varying degrees of "bounce". It is that bounce that makes them easier or harder to hit out of different types of lies.
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Number of posts : 73
Job/hobbies : Consultant / Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pill Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:15 am

Hey Snap and Griz,
I like the 52 degree too most of the time. I was wondering though, is it the bounce and big front edge on the sand wedge that makes it harder to use in a tight lie type situation? I notice a bunch of people using the sand wedge from tight "non fluffy" lies, and they seem to do just fine but I was wondering if you guys agree that the design of the sand wedge is really for a more "fluffy" situation and the reason I seem to have more trouble with it in a non fluffy situation. I know, it's probably just my shitty swing, but I think the design of the club is working against me in that situation. Am I crazy?
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Number of posts : 136
Job/hobbies : Saving mankind, stuff like that
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Character sheet
Par 5:

http://www.uglyman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Snapper Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:09 am

Pill, you definitely need a club you feel confident with. Like Griz said, you should be able to hit little punch shots or high soft ones, depending on lie, distance, pin location and hazards. That's the scoring zone my friend. Get good there and your handicap will drop like a bad habit! I love my 52° gap for those shots.
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Number of posts : 73
Job/hobbies : Consultant / Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Post by Griz Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:33 pm

My advice on that shot is to find a club that you're confident with. For me, that shot is a no brainer, it's my favorite club, my pitching wedge. I've kept my old palm springs pitching wedge through four sets of irons, and still use that club 95% of the time on shots of 90 yards or less. If you practice with one club you can learn to hit it high with bite, or low and run out, as well as dialing in your distance.
Griz
Griz
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 143

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

The Sand Wedge Empty The Sand Wedge

Post by Pill Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:18 am

Often, I find myself 75 to 90 yards from the hole. I pull out the sandwedge and proceed to get very nervous. If it is a "fluffy" lie, I usually nail it. Nice and high, the right distance and "sits". In Texas, many times the fairways are very tight, the ball is sort of laying on hard ground. Should I not even be using a sand wedge in that situation?
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Number of posts : 136
Job/hobbies : Saving mankind, stuff like that

Character sheet
Par 5:

http://www.uglyman.com

Back to top Go down