Uglyman Forum and Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uglyman 16

3 posters

Go down

Uglyman 16 Empty My thoughts

Post by Pill Thu May 08, 2008 12:16 am

I didn't remember that we had a "double bogey" max per whole last year. I could swear I took, for instance, more than 5 on some par 3's last year, or more than 6 on some par 4's, but I could be wrong. I don't want anything to do with that "stableford" thing we tried a couple of years ago. I think a fair handicap, based on prior year uglyman scores, if possible, with a bit of a collar on blow up holes is the way to go. The handicap should be relative to the lowest handicap player in the tournament. That approach just seems clean to me since most don't really have a handicap.

I've always wanted the 4 rounds for the tournament back. But as Griz says, the conscensus seems to be 3. But if we put it to a vote, I'd be raising a hand at "4".

"Dual" champs concept. Hmmmmmmm. I see why it is a great idea and I understand the desire for "pure", straight up competition. I just like having "THE CHAMP!". I'm struggling with this one because it is such a good idea. Would I rather have X as the "low score" champ and Y be the "low net" champ, or just have Y as "THE CHAMP"? Ugh, I just don't know but tonight I'm leaning to the low net as "THE CHAMP". If we do handicaps right, that would seem fair to me. I will never beat Snap straight up (Well, he is a few years older than me and I could catch him in about 30 years just before we put him in the lake because I can still walk for two more years).

I absolutely think we should stay at least one, preferably two nights at chewela this year (3 rounds). We could have all three tournament rounds there and if we go 4, have the last round at Indian Canyon. I would hate not to have IC in the rotation somewhere, but I'm with Griz, Chewy is taking over the "favorite" category for me.
Pill
Pill
That's my boy!/Admin
That's my boy!/Admin

Number of posts : 136
Job/hobbies : Saving mankind, stuff like that
Registration date : 2008-05-01

Character sheet
Par 5:

http://www.uglyman.com

Back to top Go down

Uglyman 16 Empty I think thats a great idea....

Post by Griz Wed May 07, 2008 2:36 am

Dual champs! yes I think that is the perfect solution!

Pill, what do you think?

As for course's no there hasn't been any discusion yet. I've always been in favor of the four round tourney myself, but it seem's like the general consensus is three. If we put it up for a vote I'll vote for 4.

I can't imagine Uglyman without Chewy, and I'm also definitely up for an extended stay. I almost hate to admit it but if I had to choose between Chewelah, and the Canyon, I'd have to pick Chewy. I also enjoyed the Raven but we could always play that on a non tournament day. I think that course definitely spreads the field out when we are trying to tighten it up. If we do a night or several at Chewelah great, if not, I think Stoneridge, and the Canyon, are the two courses which even the field the most.
Griz
Griz
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 143

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Uglyman 16 Empty Uglyman week - yeah baby, yeah

Post by Snapper Wed May 07, 2008 1:59 am

Griz,

Any preliminary plans on the number of rounds and courses to be played this year? I know there was some discussion of an overnighter, or two at Chewy. I would vote for at least three rounds and preferably four to count toward the tournament. Hell, most of the guys play four to five rounds anyway, right?

I had another idea, too. Do you think the guys would be in favor of two champions? I am proposing a low gross (true champ) and low net winner. That way we could handicap a stroke play tournament based on USGA handicaps (if available) or a handicap assigned by "the committee" for those without a current handicap. The "champs" can pose together with the trophy for posting on the website. Let me know what you think. I would really hate to "bastardize" the championship because I really feel that the guy who plays best that week should be crowned, but I certainly understand the frustration of those whose game simply doesn't allow them a chance at glory. The net division title would definitely address their concern. That is exactly what our little golf club does. Full handicap used for stroke play or 75% used for match play format. The handicap can be applied in the stableford format as well.

Anyway, I can't wait! I am reminded of Uglyman each and every time I play Los Prados as we toast Bad Eye Bill's tree and plaque each round. His tree is planted in front of his house on the 14th green! Two to three of us always mix up a concoction we call "Billy Brew". It's not what you may think. It is actually quite good, a mudslide (Kailua, Baileys and Vodka), yummy!

See you soon and great work with this new message board.
Snapper
Snapper
True Uglyman
True Uglyman

Number of posts : 73
Job/hobbies : Consultant / Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf, Golf
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Uglyman 16 Empty Uglyman 16

Post by Griz Sun May 04, 2008 5:26 pm

The 16th annual Uglyman Week begins August 16th 2008.
Griz
Griz
Big Dog
Big Dog

Number of posts : 143

Character sheet
Par 5:

Back to top Go down

Uglyman 16 Empty Re: Uglyman 16

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content